Our Mission and History
During the 1930’s and 1940’s, residents of the Golden Gate barrio began holding Mass in their homes, an old store and in a vacant lot with benches. Father Albert Braun, O.F.M., a hero who served as a chaplain during both world wars, came to the area in the 1940’s and Sacred Heart was established as a mission.
The two missions of Sacred Heart, Santa Rita and Saint Mary Magdalene were founded in 1953. A third mission, Saint John the Baptist was later established but closed in 1973. Early Masses were originally held in an army barracks located on 17th Street.
Father Albert Braun and the community joined together to build the beautiful brick church that still stands near Buckeye Road and 16th Street. This church was dedicated on October 14th, 1956. This was followed by the construction and opening of Sacred Heart School in 1959.
Amidst airport expansion in the 1970’s, the local neighborhoods were severely impacted. The city bought the church and the last regular Mass was celebrated in 1985 and has since allowed for the purpose for which it was built, the sacrifice of the Mass.
At this time the community relocated to the current location on 12th Street just south of Buckeye Road. Here the community was served faithfully by the Franciscan Friars including Fr. Luis Baldonado O.F.M.. from the early 2000’s until 2014, Annie Conway was the Parish Life Coordinator with the assistance of various priests including Fr. Jorge Martinez and various members of the Crosier Fathers. Since 2014, the parish has been served by the current pastor, Fr. Paul Sullivan.